Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Faith, Faith , Faith. ......

Well, I'm not going to lie. It's been a crappy week. Yep, that's right.....not so good. We have had a hard time setting solid appointments with any of our investigators. They all have family in town or work random hours or don't return our calls and it's a bit frustrating. Most of our investigators can only meet with us once a week which is not good compared to the 2-3 times we are supposed to meet with them. When people have long breaks in between visits they forget the good feelings they had and fall further away. The hardest thing is finding something to do between the hours of 7:30-9:00 P.M. Most people are getting ready for bed by 8:00 around here so we can't just stop by because they have kids and tracting at that hour is out of the question. Any thoughts on what we could do? We have tried almost everything we know to do and haven't had a ton of success yet. I love that we are teaching so many spanish speaking investigators but it sure is difficult to get a hold of them because we have to have a member who speaks spanish call them and set up appointments and their work schedules change so much that often they are not there when we go. And to top it all off we got hounded by 2 bashers this week who tried to "show us the way" and tell us that all we believe is untrue. Yep, two in one week. One just approached us in a parking lot and the other was the roommate of a lady we are teaching who was baptized 5 years ago but inactive. It's interesting because bible bashers don't want to share what they believe with you...they just want to yell at you while they tell you that you're wrong but it's nothing personal ------excuse me,,, when you attack my beliefs you have just gotten personal! It is so hard to just keep your mouth shut and not give replies back. I tried to calmly address on one issue and soon realized that it was wasted effort. All you can do is walk away having done your best to treat the situation as the Savior would. So, yep, a fun week. Yet.... after a delightful ice cream pity party last night we are ready to start anew! Transfers are this Wednesday but I am staying put and so is Sister Harrison. She goes home in two transfers so it wouldn't surprise me if I stayed here until then too. I love this area and finally know my way around so I'm happy. We are trying to figure out ways to get members more involved with our work because it is so much easier when members refer their friends and are a part of the conversion process. Just since I've been here I've seen that those who have a member fellowshipper do so much better. We are still teaching Adrian but he's sick this week. It was pretty funny last week because they took us to eat at a mexican resaurant and we taught him about faith while we were there. We blindfolded him and put some candy in front of him and had him feel it and related it to faith. Two guys walked in and asked what kind of a game we were playing. It was funny because when we explained what we were doing they just gave us that look -so if you hear rumors flying that mormons eat blindfolded in Mexican restaurants you'll know that rumor started in California! They thought we were pretty weird. Adrian's ready for baptism too but has some issues to work out that we can't do anything about which is hard because he is more than ready. Santiago came to church!!!!! He is the most progressing of anyone we are teaching because he has a solid fellowshipper who comes with us to appointments and gives him rides to church. Even though he doesn't understand english he still enjoys church and is patient with us trying to figure out how to help our spanish speakers at church. It's so hard for them to feel welcome at church when most of the people don't speak their language and thus it's hard to get to know people. Santiago is strong and really believes so I guess those little details won't make a huge difference. We were so excited to take Jason to the singles ward family home evening last night because it was at the President Quinn's home so we could go because it was in our area. We had it all set up...we were going to pass him off to the singles ward elders to teach and introduce him to some of the members. Fifteen minutes before, he called and said he couldn't go because a friend of his was in a bind and he had to go and help her. Good excuse but now we don't know what to do with him! He's a good kid and it will work out! Faith, Faith , Faith. ...... I know I need it and I know how to get it (I teach people that everyday) but it is easier said than done. Our faith grows stronger with trials. I think I'm about ready for it to stop growing so the trials can stop and the work can move forward. Keep the prayers and letters coming cause I need them. Sorry if this sounds like a sad email but now I've vented it all and things can move forward. I really am doing well. I am meeting so many great people. I did the math the other day and by the end of my mission I will have contacted at least 11,000 people. Isn't that awesome. The message of the restoration of the gospel is true and thus I am here spreading the word even when it seems like no one cares. Heavenly Father cares about all his children so the work must go on! I love you all!

Sister London

No comments:

Post a Comment