Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy Saint Patty's Day!

Thanks for the Saint Patty's decorations mom! I was so excited! No worries- this was a much better week! Today it is supposed to be 80 degrees!!!! I love it now but in about two weeks I won't be loving it so much. Yesterday while out tracting it was hot. Yep...hot in March...just wait until August.

This week we taught Cinnamon (her real name is Nancy but everyone calls her Cinnamon) She is a spunky 80 year old woman who is so funny. She was imitating a weather reporter who struts around and played the part quite well. She is hilarious. She has an amazing ancestry. Her great grandma was a slave and the one to warn all of the cotton workers when the guards were coming so they could stop praying and continue to work so they wouldn't get whipped. She is so excited about the book of mormon and we sang her a song that she loved. Yep...I felt like we should sing to her so we did. Sister Harrison is a singer but I'm not big on singing to people or in front of people for that matter so she was excited that I would do it for Cinnamon. We have an appointment to go back and read to her from the Book of Mormon and we are very excited. She doesn't know that it is our intention to convert her yet, but with time and help from our Heavenly Father it will happen soon enough.

We have also had a lot of fun contacting people this week. We have gotten into a lot of good conversations with people. Usually most are not interested and just move on but this week a good 7-8 actually stopped to talk to us. It is amazing how messed up a lot of people's perceptions of God and religion are. I've heard some pretty random things.
Everyone here is pretty excited for Sunday because Elder Perry is coming to talk to my stake. I guess there's never been an apostle here so it's a big deal. We're hoping he'll talk to just us missionaries but no word yet so probably not. We are still teaching our spanish speakers and finding more everyday. It's a challenge to get them to church but we keep trying. They all do really well with the lessons and enjoy it they just won't show up to church. It's hard too because it's a bit of a drive to get there so those without cars need rides.
We've been doing a lot of member work this week which has been fun. We've made it a goal to talk to 10 ward members/week including less actives and active members. We had a cool experience with a less active a few days ago. There is a Relief Society Party coming up so taking invites to some less actives was a great excuse to stop by. We stopped at one sister's house and were invited in. She was nice but seemed a bit apprehensive at first. We started talking to her and soon she warmed up and we found out that she grew up in the church. She married a Catholic and moved to Texas a few years later and just didn't end up finding a ward to go to and hasn't been since really. She doesn't know why she stopped. She still believes and prays everyday. She agreed to let us come back again and said she had nothing against coming back and she knew her husband would be supportive of whatever she did. Crazy how some just fall away for no reason. All she needed was someone to go out of their way to invite her to church and she may have never fallen away. She is a great lady and we're hopeful she'll be reactivated and we will be able to teach the rest of her family as well. It's amazing how someone can fall away so quickly from something so trivial as moving and by not taking initiative we can lose so many blessings. To top it all off she plays tennis!!!! She plays almost everyday and is on a competitive team. How cool is that?
We're still teaching Hannah who turns 9 on Saturday. She is getting baptized in May. We taught her about tithing and gave her more candy than she could hold to represent the blessings received from paying her tithing. She definitely wants to pay her tithing!!!

I am still loving this area I am going to miss it when I leave. I know the gospel is true. That repentance changes our lives. The Lord's plan is perfect. The gospel is meant to be shared. Speak up and share what you believe. I promise it is not as hard as we think it is. The Lord only blesses and helps us when we do all we can- just think if you shared his plan with someone the blessings that would come!

Sister London

No comments:

Post a Comment