Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chucky Cheese!!!

Well, family....here's a sad story. Last Tuesday I wrote an awesome super detailed and exciting email and guess what? It got erased two minutes before my computer time was up. So sorry you didn't hear from me last week. I'll try my best to re-create the goodness.
I got to see John Garcia on May 6th!!!! We went to dinner with him and the Kunzs. It was so great to see him though he was walking with a cane and looked a little worse for wear. He was still in great spirits and a tease like always, and of course excited to see us. We had a great time chatting and catching up. He still hasn't been able to meet with the missionaries in Arizona because of where he is living but he is still reading the Book of Mormon, especially when he needs a boost! Music to my ears! After we finished eating he told us the "thing" he had to tell us. He told us that he has a terminal illness and has about a year to live which is why he moved to be closer to his family. I was a little surprised, but I could see it in his eyes before he even said the words. It hit me hard because I feel dad is close to John and I've grown to love John so much. I guess it just hit a little too close to home. I was sad yet I really feel peace about the whole thing and that this is the way it is supposed to be. John is a stud, he has no fear. He knows God and I am not worried about him. I still don't know if he'll be baptized before his time comes but I am confident that dad will definitely take over the teaching on the other side and John will accept, maybe this is the only way it will be possible for him. I testified to John that God loves him and that He has a plan for him. He got teary-eyed and told me that he and I are family. Of course I already knew this but it felt good to hear him say it. He said something that was kind of neat. He said that I have been the only missionary that he has trusted and really felt he could open up to. He said the others would say things just because they were supposed to. He could tell that I was sincere and so I told him about the strong spirit I felt everytime I prepared to teach him and how I knew exactly what it was the Lord needed John to hear and all I did was say what I felt I was supposed to say. I told him about how I feel dad close to me when I am around him and that really touched him. I don't know why life happens the way it does but I will forever be grateful to have met John Garcia. He has had a big impact on my life. I'll just keep on taking his advice. Everytime he says goodbye he says, "do me a favor....keep smiling"

Also, that day Jeanette accepted baptism which is awesome. She is married with 4 kids but she and her husband work opposite hours so we can never teach all of them at once. It was pretty neat because we taught about how we need to follow the Savior's example and we asked if she would be baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God and she said, "of course"!!!!! That is what we like to hear!
We also met Hector this week who is super cool! He has a 12 year old son Charlie. They just bought an apartment and are fixing it up. Hector was the one to talk to us, he thought he recognized Sister Harrison. He owns a construction company and works on his place (which had been completely destroyed by the last tenant) after work. We volunteered to help and have since put up crown molding and painted! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally a service project up my alley and he asks for my opinion!!!!!!!!!!! The Powells (super great members) came with us to help too and Hector and Charlie came to church on Sunday and really enjoyed it! I love this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You honestly never know what you are going to get.
Also we've had some cool teaching opportunities with visitors who are just passing by. One was a man staying with Sister Evans and her husband. He had a lot of great questions. Another was a man who brought his nonmember girlfriend to church on their way though town. Both were really great teaching opportunities.
Other exciting news. Laulo accepted baptism and we are teaching his wife and 4 year old son. Also, Ueshari (from India) told us that if God told her she needed to be baptized, she would do it! It's fun to meet with her and find out about her culture. She is a sweetie and we are excited to see the gospel change her life.
I went to my first bible study last night and it was really great. A missionary from another church had talked to the Elders and they arranged for us to go in there place. There was no bashing just a little yelling as the preacher exuberantly tried to get points across. It was pretty crazy because the spirit was almost there a few times and then he would raise his voice and it would disappear. It was a great experience and I learned a lot yet there is just something missing. There are so many great people with great faith, but that faith could become so much greater and more meaningful through the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
Dustin continues to progress. Last week he prayed at the end of our lesson-something he hasn't done in 10 years and he is reading the Book of Mormon. He is changing and the crazy part is that he has no idea how much he's already changed. It is so rad to be a part of that process. Dulce is doing awesome too. She works a ton but wants so badly to meet with us because of the "good" she feels when we are in her home! Lives are changing!!!! It is so great!!!!

On a funny note, we set off the Quinns' security alarm the other morning. They didn't tell us it would be on but I'm sure after that 6:30 a.m. wake up call they won't forget again!!! Also, last p-day my companion and I went to chuck-e-cheese and played skee ball. It was a blast. Our friend Anna came with us and brought her friend's mom! I know a weird combo but it was really fun. That is the only exciting thing there is to do in our area so mom- thanks for all the money spent letting me and dad play skee ball at Lagoon. I still have the skills!
It was great to talk to a few of you on Mother's Day, I miss you all and love you lots.
Love, Sister London



No comments:

Post a Comment