Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The truth changes people

I love the people here that we teach. I love the change that I am seeing. I don't know how to explain it, but it's true what they say....the truth changes people. This week Mike (19) got baptized. He is incredible. He is a very shy guy who just graduated from high school. His girlfriend is a year older and home from byu for the summer. He found out about church from her but was never really interested until one day it just happened that he was so we began teaching him and now about a month or so later he got baptized. He is still awkward and shy but he has opened up and there really is a light that comes off of him. We will be friends forever- literally and I love that. His dad wasn't super supportive but he showed up though he wasn't going to and I saw both of his parents get teary-eyed. They felt the spirit and his dad, who never really supported any of his activities (band concerts, ect) was proud of his son. Mike got up and bore his testimony. He was so nervous walking up to the front but once he started talking he was fine. He gave a really powerful testimony and I think his parents were a little shocked by his honest and sincere conviction. It was so neat! Khris also got baptized this week and she too has changed a lot. Her boyfriend is a less active who is coming back and there were a lot of things they both had to stop doing in order for her to be baptized and they did and she is now a member and getting the holy ghost on sunday. I don't think I ever realized the importance of the gospel and how lucky we really are. Once people find the answers it changes their lives. I can't imaging not having come on my mission. How could I have gone through life not having this perspective. It is changing me and I love it. Now for the most exciting news of the week. Arnie met with President Cook on Sunday night. The intention of the meeting was to see if we could get an exception from SLC so Arnie could be baptized because his probation was restarted for another 2 years because of a mistake the court made which would prevent him from getting baptized. Arnie has been waiting 1.5 years. That is a long time to wait. He met with President while Rocky, Early, Sister D. and I all went into a classroom to pray. It was a cool experience. We all prayed out loud for Arnie and President Cook and for God's will to be done. We came out and President Cook told us that arnie's probation is for a misdemeanor and not a felony so he saw no reason why Arnie couldn't be baptized. We all started hugging each other and were super excited but Arnie was no where to be found. He came around the corner and ran and clicked his heels together he was so excited. It was incredible the smile on his face. I've never seen anyone so happy. Real happiness!!!!! Love ya, Sister London

No comments:

Post a Comment