It is weird not to have snow. We went caroling last night and it was so odd not to be freezing while doing it- I didn't even need a jacket. Well, I'm here in California. I am serving in the Skripps Ranch 1st ward area which is in San Diego(it is the very beginning of the mission from the southern end) My companion is Sister Fesolai from New Zealand/Samoa. She is pretty fun and according to everyone I talk to, the best sister missionary in the area. We have a military base(Miramar) in our area and also many rich neighborhoods and other average income housing. The ward members are amazing. I can't believe how much they do. If we need a ride for one of our investigators we just call and they are on the job. It is pretty amazing because I've never ever in my life seem members who are so dedicated to missionary work which is exactly how it should be. There should be no need for full-time missionaries because the members should be doing it. It is a huge blessing. I am very blessed because we have about 10 investigators right now- 3 with baptism dates and one family being sealed next week! I was thrown right into it! We live with the Quinns- ward members, who have a mother-in-law apartment where we stay. I'm told that I am being spoiled because never again will I have such a large room and shower. It has been really nice. They are a very nice family, I believe he is a doctor of some sort. The most exciting news of the day is that Ryan- a 40ish year old man is getting baptized on January 17th. This is so awesome because finding him was a miracle for the sisters before me and it continues to be. He comes from a family of Jehovah Witnesses and was worried about what they would think. He also has some addiction problems. He is such a smart man. He really studies the doctrine and asks amazing questions. He is so funny and you can't help but love him. We weren't expecting him to agree to baptism for awhile and the other night we got a call from the ward mission leader telling us that he set his own date!!!! Julie is also getting baptized in January but is struggling right now from some things that have happened recently. She is our greatest challenge right now because we spent so much time trying to help her. She has a son who is already a member. John is special. He is a Native American who was sent by his tribe to find a church. He has been searching for about a year and doesn't let anyone come into his home very often but he always lets us in and is so kind to us. He is a very humble man and I know he has a testimony. He can look into your eyes and you know he is looking at your soul. He has found the truth but knows his tribe will not be accepting of it so he is caught in the middle- keeping the traditions of his people and sacrificing most of that to be baptized and attend church. I know he will be baptized one day. He is so wise and humble and much like I would imagine the Savior to be like. We are also teaching Najiba and her son Ahmed from Afghanistan. They are so nice but not very willing to keep their commitments and read from the Book of Mormon which is the only way they will gain a testimony. I pray they will change their ways soon so that we don't have to drop them. The work is definitely here. I am absolutely exhausted but it is good. All I want for Christmas is a nap but no such luck. We don't really get much of a Christmas- we have weekly planning for 4 hours in the morning and then are expected to go out tracting. Hopefully we will find someone who is alone for Christmas and searching for something more in their lives. Pray that we will find such a person- what better gift than the gift of the gospel? I hope you all have a great Christmas! I love and miss you all! Remember how lucky you all are to have the gospel in your life- to know that God loves you and that Jesus Christ is his son. There are so many who don't know these things. We are very blessed.
Lots of love, Sister London
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment